Before the Bikini: Rare Vintage Beach Photos
By the early 1900s, beach resorts were becoming a popular destination. But water activities such as swimming and diving were a burden due to the bulky Victorian-style swimsuits, especially for the women, the magazine reports. Check out these rare vintage beach photos showing how people used to relax.
1. Bathers at Ostend in Belgium, 1911.
2. Holidaymakers enjoy mixed bathing at Southsea, in the sea with a line of bathing machines along the shore, 1900.
3. Two bathers relax outside their hut, in the background is the horse which drags the huts to and from the water’s edge, 1909.
4. Bathing suits hung out to dry, 1909.
5. Beach goers having fun in Canvey Island, Essex, 1922.
6. Victorian bathing belles relax on the beach at Paris-Plage, 1915.
7. Bathing belles on the beach at Southend-on-Sea, Essex, 1919.
8. Bathing belles paddling at Southend-on-Sea, Essex, 1919.
9. Two women in swimwear amuse themselves by taking photographs, 1900.
10. A young woman emerges from her bathing machine dressed for the beach at Ostend, a Belgian city, 1911.
11. Young women play cricket on the beach at Swansea, 1910.
12. Two young girls on Brighton beach, about to have a cigarette, 1910.
13. Holiday makers have a piggy back race on the beach at Shanklin on the Isle Of Wight, 1928.
14. Actress Joan Crawford playing on the beach with fellow star Dorothy Sebastian, 1927.
15. Two women are seen using a ‘skreenette’ at the beach, 1929.
16. A group of young children walking hand in hand by the sea, 1928.
17. Actor Neil Hamilton is seen outside his Malibu beach cottage, 1926.
18. Two children sleeping on a beach, 1926.
19. An officer from the West Palm Beach police force is seen measuring a woman’s bathing suit to ensure that it conforms with regulations introduced by beach censors, 1929.
20. A woman swings a child on the beach at Bridlington, Humberside, England, 1936.