Berlin During The 1920s
The Golden Twenties was a vibrant period in the history of Europe and the history of the world in general. But 1920s Berlin was a city of many social contrasts. People struggled with high unemployment and deprivations in the aftermath of World War I. By 1924, the political and economic chaos, including the dramatic phase of hyperinflation that followed its defeat, was over. After the Greater Berlin Act the city became the third largest municipality in the world. The upper class and a growing middle class started to rediscover prosperity and turned Berlin into a cosmopolitan city. Take a look at these 30 photos showing 1920s Berlin. Photographer(s) unknown.
1. Newspaper sellers sitting on a stick, 1927.
2. Streets of Berlin, 1928.
3. Friedrichstraße (lit. Frederick Street), c. 1927.
4. Cabaret dancers, 1927
5. School children, 1925.
6. Erik Charell repeating with dancers in a music hall, 1925.
7. Romanisches Café, 1925.
8. Cabaret dancers, 1927.
9. The sculptor and engraver Renée Sintenis and her Studebaker, 1928.
10. Max Krehan’s Ceramics Workshop at the Weimar Bauhaus, 1924.
11. In 1923, the Berlin Tempelhof airport was opened. This is a small hut for the first construction workers.
12. Margo Lion and Wilhelm Bendow, 1927.
13. Rush hour, 1927.
14. A woman using stationery machine, 1927.
15. People having fun at the Wannsee, Berlin, 1925.
16. Cabaret dancers, 1927.
17. Sign on a barbershop announcing special prices for the unemployed, 1927.
18. Women, ca. 1925.
19. Street scene, 1925.
20. People drinking coffee, 1925.
21. Arrest after a street fight during “Blutmai” (eng. Bloody May), 1929.
22. Before the stock market crash.
23. Recalcitrant dog, 1926.
24. The election Sunday in Berlin, which was operated with great propaganda acts. Propaganda cars of the Communist Party crossing the Alexanderplatz, 1924.
25. Karl-Liebknecht-Haus, the KPD’s headquarters from 1926 to 1933.
26. Election campaign of the Communist Party in March, 1925.
27. Cocaine dealer “Koks Emil” selling drugs on the streets in Berlin, 1929.
28. Schauspielhaus Berlin (now Konzerthaus Berlin), 1925.
29. Hiding cocaine, 1925.
30. Summer refreshment, 1925.