Night Tour In The Paris Catacombs
When you go on tour around a new city, you probably go to museums, parks and shops. But the city can be explored in many ways. You can take a trip in prohibited areas. Like the catacombs hidden beneath the streets of Paris.All you need to do is to find a tour guide, take inconspicuous clothes, decent boots and gloves, food supplies and an ID in case of arrest. Check out these photos of night tour in the Paris catacombs.
1. The Guide – Mr. X, quickly opened the manhole and several people wwent down the rabbit hole.
2. Scrambling down the 20 metee ladder, stepping on each other’s fingers in a race to find the bottom as quickly as possible.
3. The tour begins, the heart starts beating faster and faster.
4. The beginning looks scary.
5. Inscriptions by builders from two centuries ago. Mr. X starts to explain his ‘rules’ of the tour. These are not ‘rules’ as we know them in society above ground, but more like a code of honour to follow during our stay in the underworld – the code of the cataphyles.
6. There is no easy access, there is no guarantee of security, and the whole thing is against the law.
7. There are a few basic rules. Do not leavy any traces. When you cross fellow cataphyles, be friendly, but as a general rule, not to share how or where we entered or how we’ll be exiting. If you get lost, stay put and wait for rescue.
8. Trip takes place in a fast-paced march, you have to be careful not to be left behind.
9. Some tunnels are marked with the names of streets that run over them.
10. At some point the tunnel ends. It seems that is a dead end, but there is a small window.
11. This is not a trip for overweight people.
12. This way leads to next tunnel.
13. The tour guide needed just a few seconds.
14. Follow me, please!
15. Yeah, right.
16. Someone left a few bricks on the other side to overcome this obstacle more easily.
17. The group decided that it is the right time for a meal and settle in a grotto carved out by someone of this time or another.
18. At the entrance of the grotto, this “art installation” reminds that nobody can be totally at ease in the catacombs.
19. Dinner with wine and candles.
20. Although you can still do “Bio” (organic) in the catacombs, mais naturellement!
21. After a quick meal and a few stories further march continues.
22. Mr. X took a trip to an old air-raid bunker, lying directly under a post office.
23. This spacious room is often visited by graffiti artists.
24. Torches allow you to emphasize the indoor climate.
25. Stairs lead to the post office. They probably ends with closed and forgotten doors.
26. Through the tunnels.
27. Once cataphiles threw here an unforgettable dinner party.
28. Today the bunker is empty and makes a big impression.
29. Look at me.
30. That’s awesome.
32. Some say it’s the lucky number.
33. When the group stopped to rest, it turned out that they are not alone…
34. They are accompanied by little inhabitants of the catacombs.
35. Although they move and look like spiders, at closer inspection they look more like crickets.
36. It seemed like it was a short tour, but in fact it lasted more than 4 hours.
37. Now it’s time to climb up this ladder to end the Paris Catacombs tour.
38. On the surface you must come out, close the hatch and…
39. Quickly disappear pretending that nothing happened.