On December 7, 1941, Japan conducted a surprise military strike with more than 350 fighters, bombers, and torpedo planes against the United States naval base at Pearl Harbor, plunging America into World War II. To commemorate the 72nd anniversary of the bombing, the Navy Public Affairs Support Element in Hawaii combined photographs taken during the attack on Pearl Harbor with pictures of the same locations today. They also made the four minute film showing black and white scenes from the attack with color images showing the parking lots, buildings and fields that now exist where the drama unfolded. Check out the photos of attack on Pearl Harbor that bring history to life.
Also check: Then And Now: 30 Comparative Pictures Of Life In The Past And Today
1. Defenders on Ford Island watch for planes during the surprise attack on Pearl Harbor.
2. The battleship USS California (BB 44) burns in the foreground as the battleship USS Arizona (BB 39) burns in the background after the initial attack.
3. Defenders on Ford Island watch for planes during the surprise attack on Pearl Harbor.
4. Hangar 6 on Ford Island stands badly damaged after the attack on Pearl Harbor.
5. A view of the historic Ford Island control tower: then and now. The tower was once used to guide airpanes at the airfield on the island and will now be used as an aviation library.
6. The battleship USS Arizona (BB 39) burns in the background during the attack0 as viewed from Ford Island.
7. The Mahan-class destroyer USS Shaw (DD 373) explodes in the background after the attack.
8. Sailors on Ford Island look on as the Mahan-class destroyer USS Shaw (DD 373) explodes in the background after the attack.