Then And Now: Photos Of Warsaw That Bring History To Life
The Warsaw Uprising (Polish: powstanie warszawskie) was a major World War II operation by the Polish resistance Home Army (Polish: Armia Krajowa) to liberate Warsaw from Nazi Germany. The Uprising began on 1 August 1944 and lasted for 63 days (2 October 1944) with little outside support.
Marcin Dziedzic came up with an amazing idea of patriotic photo project that pay tribute to the insurgents fighting for Poland’s freedom. He combined modern photos of Warsaw with well-known historical photographs taken during the Uprising. The project named “Teraz44” allows us to look at the capital of Poland and the Warsaw Uprising from a different perspective. This blend of then & now images of the same place really impresses. Check them out below and be sure to visit Teraz44 website for more info and original historical photos.
Big thanks for Tomasz Cal for letting me know about Teraz44 project.
Corner of Aleje Ujazdowskie and Wilcza
The insurgents leave the channel near the build at Aleje Ujazdowskie 34. The original photo was taken by marian Grabski “Wyrwa” in September, 1944.
Corner of Boduena 5 and Jasna
Insurgent gathering. The original photo was taken by Marian Grabski “Wyrwa” in August, 1944.
Corner of Bracka and Nowogrodzka
Second Lieutenant Stanisław Sasinowski “Żbik”, commander of the 3rd platoon of the seconf Assault Battalion company “Sokół”. Original photo taken by Marian Grabski “Wyrwa” in August 1944.
Corner of Bracka and Widok
The insurgent patrol passes barricade at Widok 1 street. The original photo was taken by Eugeniusz Haneman on August 16, 1944.
Corner of Chmielna and Bracka
Second Lieutenant Eugeniusz Lokajski “Brok” – the photographer of the Warsaw Uprising. He is notable as the Champion of Poland in javelin throw and the creator of more than 1000 photos documenting the Warsaw Uprising. The original photo was taken by his camera in August 1944.
Corner of Chmielna and Nowy Świat
Varsovians build a barricade of flagstones under the eye of one of the insurgents. Original photo was taken by Stefan Bałuk “Starby” during the first days of the Warsaw Uprising in August 1944.
Jasna 26 Street
Lieutenant Stefan Szempliński “Stefan” from the “Anna” company of Battalion “Gustaw” stands near the entrance of Victoria hotel at Jasna 26. He holds $10 – the first and the last insurgent pay. The original photo was taken by Wiesław Chrzanowski “Wiesław” on October 5, 1944.
Kościół Św. Krzyża (Holy Cross Church)
An unknown insurgent observes the Krakowskie Przedmieście street. The original photo was taken by Eugeniusz Haneman on August 25, 1944. It was shot inside the church by the demolished portion of the front wall.
Koszykowa Street – a view towards Mokotowska Street
Insurgents patroling Koszykowa street. Most of the buildings survived to this day. The original photo was taken by Marian Grabski “Wyrwa” in the middle of September 1944.
Krakowskie Przedmieście 1
The original photos shows insurgents in the courtyard of the Police Headquarters building at Krakowskie Przedmieście 1. Behind them there is a side wall of Holy Cross Church. Insurgents from the left: shooter Wojciech Reszczyński “Rolnik”, shooter Kazimierz Rytter “Szef”, shooter Janusz Ornatowski “Roland” (wearing sweater), corporal Eugeniusz Świerkowski “Grześ”. The photo was taken by Eugeniusz Lokajski “Brok” on August 23, 1944.
Corner of Marszałkowska 66 and Wilcza 34
The soldiers from (most likely) Iwo battalion at the barricade on the corner of Marszałkowska and Wilcza. The original photo was taken by Marian Grabski “Wyrwa” in August, 1944.
Corner of Marszałkowska and Wilcza
The insurgents on a barricade on the corner of Marszalkowska and Wilcza. The original photos was taken by Edward Wojciechowski in the middle of August 1944.
Corner of Mokotowska and Jaworzyńska
Corporal Stanislaw Kozaczyński “Strażak” sits on a barricade at the corner of Mokotowska and Jaworzyńska. The original photo was taken by Andrzej Bargiełowski “Stańczyk” in August, 1944.
Corner of Moniuszki and Marszałkowska
Senior Corporal Włodzimierz Radajewski. Behind him there is the “Adria” building. The original photo was taken by Eugeniusz Lokajski Brok” in the first decade of August, 1944.
Soldiers of the “Anna” company from the Battalion “Gustaw”. From left: Corporal Jerzy Sikorski “Sixton”, Corporal Kazimierz Dąb “Kazik”, nurse Henryka Wieczorek “Heniuta”, Second Lieutenant Henryk Ożarek “Henio”, Corporal Tadeusz Przybyłowski “Roma”, Corporal Antoni Dobraczyński “Hel”. Corporal “Sixton” holds insurgent newspaper “Rzeczpospolita Polska” with information about the negotiations of capitulation. In the background of the original photo you can spot bombed Prudential skyscraper. The photo was taken by Wiesław Chrzanowski on October 1 or October 2, 1944.
Plac Dąbrowskiego – a view towards Jasna Street
A group of insurgents from the “Anna” company of the battalion “Gustaw” returns from their positions in the (now defunct) Bogusław Herse Fashion House to the headquarters inside the insurance company “Polonia” at jasna 19. The original photo was taken by Wiesław Chrzanowski “Wiesław” in the second half of September, 1944.
Prudential – a view from Kopernik street
Prudential, the second tallest European skyscraper at the time of construction, hit by 2-tonne Karl-Gerät mortar shell, leaving only the steel framework. Original photo was taken by Sylwester Braun “Kris” on August 26, 1944 from a roof of building located at Kopernika 28 street.
A group of insurgents waiting for marching orders to German prison. Behind them, the Warsaw Scientific Society building at Śniadeckich 8 street. Original photo was taken by Edward Wojciechowski on October 4, 1944.
Corner of Świętokrzyska and Czacki
The original photo was taken by Joachim Joachimczyk “Joachim” on August 23, 1944 right after taking over the Police Headquarters building at Krakowskie Przedmieście 1. Insurgents posing with the captured weapons. From the left: (most likely) Corporal Tadeusz Jerzy Depczyk “Drohojemski I” from the “Gurt” battle group. A person next to him, holding a German-type light machine gun MG 08/15 “Maxim” on the shoulder, is Officer cadet Zygmunt Sadkowski “Wacek”. Next in line is the shooter Julian Bednarski “Morski” form “Lewar” battle group. The last person is most likely shooter Ryszard Lipski “Zimny” from “Bartkiewicz” battle group.
A group of insurgents under the command of Lieutenant Stefan Berent “Steb”, go for the grenade supplies in “Gerlach” factory at Tamka 38 street. The original photo was taken by Eugeniusz Lokajski “Brok” in the third decade of August, 1944.
Unknown insurgent proudly presents his gun. The original photo was taken by Joachim Joachimczyk “Joachim” on August 6, 1944.
The gathering of insurgents on the Zgoda street near “Dom pod Orłami” building. There are two new graves next to them. The original photo was taken by Marian Grabski “Wyrwa” in August, 1944.
Corner of Złota and Zgoda
The original photo shows unknown girl standing on destroyed Złota street. Photo taken by Eugeniusz Lokajski “Brok” in the middle of September 1944.