Old Photos of Spanish Civil War in the 1930s
21. A Spanish government soldier throws a hand grenade towards enemy trenches, 1936.
22. Journalist Raymond Walker risks his life under a hail of bullets dashing across the International bridge from Hendaye, France, to Irun, Spain to save a baby, 1936.
23. Republican forces lying in ambush in a village near Madrid, 1937.
24. Victims of a sudden air raid lie in a street, 1937.
25. Crowds cheering government troops in Pamplona, 1936.
26. A militiaman chats with a woman in the doorway of her home in Extremadura or Estremadura in west central Spain, during the Spanish Civil War. The villagers have only recently been allowed to return to their homes in the area. 1936
27. The Republican army make their way through Barcelona in home-made armoured vehicles, 1936.
28. A member of the French frontier troops helps a family of refugees cross the border from Spain, 1938.
29. Residents of Gibraltar and Spanish refugees watch the bombardment of Algeciras, 1936.
30. Soldiers digging roads in the Guadarrama Mountains, 1936.
31. A wounded Republican soldier being treated at a field dressing station on the Guadarrama front near Madrid, 1936.
32. Workmen paint a Union Jack flag on the roof of the British Embassy in Madrid, during the height of the siege by rebel troops, 1936.
33. Republican militia men searching through the wreckage of their barracks in Madrid after it was bombed by rebel planes, 1936.
34. Scenes of destruction along the roads leading from Franco’s Spain, 1936.
35. Republican and irregular loyal troops in Barcelona awaiting orders to advance to the Saragossa front, 1936.
36. Nationalist troops escorting a group of captured Republican troops on the Samosierra front, 1936.
37. Women were among the Republican combatants, 1936.
38. A group of Loyalist Republican Spanish soldiers at the time of the Spanish Civil War, 1936.
39. Refugees from the Spanish Civil War crowd the roads to Perpignan at Le Perthus, France, 1936.
40. Soldiers read posters in Barcelona calling women to arms, 1936.