Then And Now: Photos Of Berlin, Germany That Bring History To Life
The Berlin Wall divided the city from 1961 to 1989 and became the iconic symbol of the cold war. Sean Gallup has photographed locations around Berlin today to match with archive images of when the city was divided. Check out the photos of Berlin that bring history to life.
Also check: Amazing Mid-century Photographs of Berlin
1. Soviet tanks confront East German youth during the anti-Soviet uprising (17 June 1953). Young women cross the street at Leipziger Platz (7 April 2014).
2. Soldiers outside the entrance to Potsdamer Platz station peer over the newly-erected Berlin Wall (circa 1961). A man walks past the entrance of the same underground station (25 February 2014).
3. People in West Berlin look at an early version of the Berlin Wall built in front of the Church of Reconciliation (c1961-62). A man walks a dog past the memorial to the church, which was demolished by East Berlin authorities to make way for the widening of the Berlin Wall in Bernauer Strasse (25 February 2014).
4. A woman in East Berlin views the newly-erected Berlin Wall (c1961-62). A young woman looks from the window of a youth hostel in Bernauer Strasse (24 February 2014).
5. West Berliners look at a memorial to East Germans who had died trying to flee East Berlin (1 November 1977). A young man rides a bicycle along the embankment on the Spree River behind the Reichstag (6 April 2014).
6. A sign reads: ‘Whoever attacks us will be destroyed’ next to East German soldiers and workers (c1962). Visitors walk next to a still-standing portion of the former Berlin Wall at the Topographies des Terrors memorial (20 March 2014).
7. Two members of the Finder family stand at the memorial to Ida Siekmann, the first victim of the Berlin Wall, killed after jumping out of the window of her apartment at 48 Bernauer Strasse (13 August 1981). A woman with two children rides a bicycle past a glass memorial plaque to Ida Siekmann (24 February 2014).
8. A sign outside the Brandenburg Gate reads ‘Attention! You are now leaving West Berlin’ (1 August 1962). Sightseeing buses tour Berlin (3 April 2014).